The history of the Monastery

The history of the Monastery begins around the 1780s — 1790s when the monk Sophronius came to the island of Corfu (Kerkyra). He was looking for a place for monastic life and waited for the Lord to reveal His will as to where the foundation of a new monastery will lay. Having found a water source in the forest and started to pray, Father Sophronius saw the ruins of an old church among the olive trees nearby and at that moment he felt something deep in his heart, took it as a sign from above, and stayed there forever.

Spiritual feats, ceaseless prayer, labouring, and abstinence turned the ascetic into a chosen vessel of the Holy Spirit, who bestowed upon him the gift of providence, as many testimonies of the Father’s contemporaries have been preserved. Its official status as a convent the Monastery received around 1810 and was consecrated in honour of the Transfiguration of the Lord by Metropolitan Hierotheos (Sigalas), who ordained Father Sophronius as a hieromonk (monk-priest). The main support of Father Sophronius at that time was his own sister, who took monastic vows and the name Pelagia and became Mother Superior of the Monastery. Following her example, other inhabitants settled down at the monastery. Initially, they lived and prayed in dugouts — most of the buildings were built at the end of the 19th or in the 20th century (except for the old 16th century dilapidated church, which was once seen by Father Sophronius).

During the severe famine of the war and post-war period, the sisters of the Monastery not only provided for their monastery by themselves but also helped the poor inhabitants of the surrounding villages and shared their scarce food with them. Some elderly locals still remember those times.

Monastic life went on continuously throughout the history of the Monastery. May God grant that the light of the prayer, faith and love will not fade away in this blessed place!